Tuesday, November 22, 2016

When You Realize Just How Deep Your Rail-Geek Runs...

I know I promised you Part II of 1969 Hot Wheels this week, but a split second of tv viewing this morning changed all of that. Ah, such is life!

I wasn't even really watching tv this morning, when out of the corner of my eye, I spotted this:

Typical Christmas train set in a typical Christmas car ad...
Thanks to my video recorder, I was able to back up and make sure that I saw what I thought I saw...and sure enough, there it was! You see, the building closest to us is pretty well known to me...and it's a little weird to have in a Christmas advertisement. Here is my example of it...

Built by yours truly...a LONG time ago...
This HO train kit has been around forever and was produced by a variety of companies. Mine is by Tyco and is from around 1973. For the weird part, let's take a closer look at the sign, shall we?

Yes, it's supposed to be misspelled, although some versions are spelled "Gruesome."
The Grusom Casket Company was a little bit of Halloween gallows humor you could add to your layout! Here are some more shots...

The loading dock...

I actually wrote this slogan myself. I thought it was hillarious... I still kind of do. 

The shed in back...

Car advertisement camera side...
So, what does all of this have to do with anything? Well, not a heck of a lot, really, other than I spotted a train building kit that had less than two seconds of air time and identified it. Geek level= Gold. Extra points for holiday irony.

By the way, I guess I should give credit where it it due. This week's Stu's Attic was brought to you by:


Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

2 comments:

  1. Good eye, Stu! I think you deserve a Rail Geek platinum award for this one!

    I don't remember this particular Tyco kit, although the modular components - the two-story section, the single-story shop floor, and the shed - are all familiar elements reissued in different combinations as different kits by Tyco, Model Power, and maybe Atlas (IDIC, anyone?). I have several N-scale variants from the Model Power line - the fire station, the railroad hotel, and another that escapes me at the moment since the layout is currently disassembled.

    It's also fun to watch the opening & closing segments of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood with an eye towards identifying the kits used in making that diorama. I also remember a big spread in a 1991 MR about how the SFX team for Flight of the Intruder had built a huge model of 1972 Downtown Hanoi based almost entirely on kitbashed HO kits and modular building components. Several familiar kits stood out in some of the accompanying photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the level upgrade, Chuck! I will try to use it wisely!
      Now I have to watch some Mr. Rogers, I guess, lol!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.