Tuesday, November 1, 2016

California Dreamin'

Sometimes things just occur to me. Usually they are really obvious things that, nonetheless, I have somehow missed. When I do realize the fact, it is kind of stunning.

Take for example when I suddenly realized that I have only been to California twice in my life. Now, this might not seem like a big deal, but since I have followed several Disneyland blogs daily for a few years, I guess I felt much more at home in the Golden State than I should. I think a trip is in order...

My previous two trips were many years ago. The first was in the summer of 1973, when I was ten. The last was in the early '90s, when I spent a weekend in San Francisco. The earlier trip was more fun.

The first trip was a road trip that I took with my grandparents and my mom. We went through El Paso (taking a day trip into Mexico) and ended up staying with my great aunt and uncle in L.A. I remember seeing Knotts Berry Farm, the Queen Mary, and, of course, Disneyland.

My memory of Knotts is mainly of the Independence Hall show, when the lights dimmed and you heard the founding fathers talk about the Declaration of Independence (yes, I was always a bit of a nerd). My main memory of the Queen Mary is eating a blueberry ice cream sundae in the restaurant on board. My main memory of Disneyland is how incredible Pirates of the Caribbean was (much better than at WDW), and my grandmother getting off of the Matterhorn and taking a nerve pill.

Interesting enough, I don't have any pictures of this trip. I do, however have a couple of souvenirs. Therefore, I shall share them with you!

The Queen Mary Bank
 First, we have a ceramic bank from the Queen Mary. The bottom of the bank has "City of Long Beach, CA" molded into it. It's a cool piece, and not a bad representation of the mighty ship. I can almost still taste that sundae!

The Brady Kids!
Next, we have a picture that was handed out at Knotts Berry Farm for the Brady Kids show! Being from Texas, it was a big deal to see people from tv, but my memory of being handed the picture at the entrance to the theater is clearer than of the show itself. Still, it's a good memory!

Well, there you have it. 44 years later, and I still have this stuff. Who would have thought? And yes, it's time to start planning that next trip...

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

4 comments:

  1. You saw the Brady Kids...live...on stage...at Knott's Berry Farm...and you've only been to California twice???!!! And I thought I was lucky to see Pooh run for president...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I think I would have rather seen Pooh! Still, it was a great trip! I loved your Pooh pics, by the way!

      Delete
  2. Thanks! It's fun writing guest posts, but I don't think I could do that on a daily - or even weekly - basis. You do that twice a week! My hat is off to you, sir - and not just because I'm a man, I'm indoors, and my parents raised me a certain way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I don't even have a hat...Well, maybe a cap...lol!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.