A while back a friend of mine gave me some records and stuff they had cleaned out of their mother's house. Their mother was moving in with them, and was getting rid of a bunch of stuff. Anyway, these records were my friend's when she was a kid and since she had no way to play them any more, I offered to hang onto them. There were a couple of boxes of albums, but there were also three plastic cases like this:
I didn't think much of them at the time, since I knew they held 45 rpm records, and I found the 33 1/3 albums more interesting. Today I realized that I never even opened them to see what was inside, so I figured I would check it out.
Wow! Two of the cases were filled to the top and the third was 3/4 full! (or 1/4 empty?) But before I show you some of the random records I snapped pics of, let me explain these cases.
These are all Disk-Go-Cases made by Charter Industries of New York in the '60s and early '70s. They held 50-60 45rpm records each. Honestly, I thought they might be Tupperware, since that's the type of semi-flexible plastic they're made out of. My friend was an only child and apparently got any record she wanted! There were 58 records in the gold case, 59 in the blue case, and 51 in th green case, for a total of 168 records (or 335 songs- you'll see why that's an odd number in a moment)
So, totally (mostly) at random, here are some of the records!
And there are a whole lot more! Now, I don't normally mess with playing 45s, so I'm probably not going to mess with these much. In fact, the coolest thing I can think to do with them is buy an old jukebox! Will I? Maybe some day, who knows? Until then, I'll just keep them in their Disk-Go-Cases and keep them safe!
Until next time, keep searching for treasure!



















Hey! I have Harry Nilsson's "The Point" album! (With "Me and my Arrow".)
ReplyDelete"Spiders and Snakes" by Jim Stafford: Wow, there's a song and song writer I hadn't thought of for decades!
Some real oldies here too: Monster Mash, Downtown, Maybelline...
How do you get the records out of the cases? If the record you want is near the bottom of the stack, do you have to lift off all the records above it? Annoying!
You better get that jukebox!
Thanks, Stu.