Sunday, January 29, 2023

Astro-Pinups!

Nothing naughty, mind you! The good Major at Gorillas Don't Blog has a feature where he goes through "Stuff From the Box." Munch of that "stuff" is pinback buttons. This inspired me to share buttons that I have on my "Rocket Flyin' Hat." These aren't all the pins I have on there, but they're the most interesting....

So, for the first (and probably only) time, I give you "Stuff From the Hat!"


First, you can't fly a TWA Moonliner without a Junior Pilot badge!


Yep, I got mine and here it goes!
The pin is probably from the 1960s. Pretty much a guess, but I think that's close.


Next, we have a large SpaceLand Ranger badge! This short lived amusement park was located in Long Island, NY. Al Hodge, of Captian Video fame was the main investor. It was a neat idea, but only lasted about two years. Therefore, this badge is pretty rare. It's from 1958.


When the Soviet Union fell, there was suddenly a whole lot of Soviet stuff on the market. This is a small pin from 1971 celebrating the first human in space, Yuti Gagarin. His ship looked pretty much nothing like the rocket on the pin...Which looks a lot like the Moonliner!


Now this Soviet pin is a bit of a mystery. It celebrates the world's first man made object in orbit, Sputnik in 1957. I assumed it was made years later, but I've found sources that insist it's actually from 1957. I'm not exactly convinced, though...


This tiny Eddie Rickenbacker "Hat in the Ring" pin came out of Kellogg's Pep Cereal from the 1940s. Mine isn't in great shape, but it's still pretty cool!


Finally, we have two modern pins that don't really go together...but they should. I bought these a couple of years apart (Snoopy first, and the the Fokker). This is a tribute to my spending my dad's quarters in the jukebox at the Denison, Texas Dairy Queen to listen to the Royal Guardsmen's masterpiece.

So there you go! I hope you enjoyed the tour of some of my hat! 

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

2 comments:

  1. Oh boy! This is my kind of stuff! I have a pretty large collection of airline "Junior Pilot" and "Junior Stewardess" pins, gotta start sharing those. They are all photographed and everything. Love that SpaceLand Ranger badge! It's my favorite of the day.

    I remember there used to be a catalog called "Sovietski", it just sold stuff from the former Soviet Union, it was pretty neat.

    The Kellogg's Pep military insignia pin is great, I am eventually going to share my Pep pins too, both the military pins and the comic character set.

    And you can't go wrong with Snoopy, I was WAY more into "Peanuts" when I was a kid, and fondly remember riding my bike to 7-11 to get the Peanuts books that collected the daily strips.

    Thanks Stu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Major! My collection pales to yours, but I'm looking forward to seeing your airline pins and Pep pins! Somewhere I think I have a Popeye...but I'm not sure...
      Thanks!

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.