Friday, July 8, 2016

Remembering a Magical Place

Howdy campers! On this steamy Texas summer day, I'd like to take you back to a place and time that lives in a special place in a lot of people's hearts. Today we're going to look at an item from one of the best theme parks ever created. Disneyland, perhaps? Nope, campers, today we are going to look at the original Six Flags Over Texas!

Now, if all you know of 6FoT is what the current amusement park consists of, you probably think I'm nuts. The current park is just a mashup of giant steel thrill machines and absolutely no connecting theme. Today's park is, in short, horrible.

But there was a time when it held real magic and adventure. In the late 1960's and early 1970's, when the park was young, it was wonderfully themed to Texas history. It had six "lands," much like Disneyland, but these areas were devoted to different flags that had flown over the land during it's long history. In addition, each land had attractions that were meticulously themed to that time period, and was staffed by castmembers in period garb. There were historical reenactments, and original rides that rivaled anything at Disneyland at the time. Just ask anyone who knew this place about La Salle's River Boats, The Spee-Lunkers Cave, or Skull Island, and you will see their eyes mist over with longing...

Our item today comes from a shop just off of Skull Island. It is this:





It's a pirate's treasure chest bank! This bank is made out of pot-metal and seems to be hand painted. This must have been a popular item, since I knew several kids that had one. It's not marked "Six Flags Over Texas," and, in fact wasn't a park exclusive. I believe it was made by a company in Chicago. Still, it reminds me of those wonderful pre-Warner Brothers days at the best theme park I ever went to as a kid. R.I.P. Six Flags Over Texas, you are greatly missed.

By the way, here are some shots of the park during that time that I found on the interwebs. I'll give credit to those I know...

From the incredible postcard collection of Ken Martinez. Check out more of his stuff at Gorrilas Dont Blog where he sometimes guest posts. . I think this is the shop that sold the chest...

La Salle's Riverboat was much like Disneyland's Jungle Cruise, but actually was more exciting!

I love this shot of The Spee-Lunkers Cave, mainly because it was taken about the same time I was making great memories there!

The Tree Slide on Skull Island. Not for people who didn't like small spaces.

A postcard of the Skull Slide on Skull Island. This one is from www.Cardcow.com

I'm pretty sure that there were two ways to get to Skull Island; this raft and a barrel bridge. Both were very
cool!
So there you go! Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

3 comments:

  1. I've got one! I had forgotten it came from Six Flags. We often went when I was a kid. A hot asphalt parking lot gives a smell that always transports me back. Sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I really miss the old park. It had so much fun and imagination...I'm glad you are a fellow "Keeper of the Chest", lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.