Wednesday, April 13, 2016

The Eldon Mustang Rides Again!

In 1969 I got one of the coolest Christmas gifts ever....an Eldon International 500 Race Set! The layout was huge and featured banked turns, lap counters, and Lemans style supercars. Eldon's slot cars were an impressive 1/24 scale, so the whole thing seemed massive to a seven year old. It was mounted on a 4x8 sheet of plywood, and it took up most of it.

The car I am featuring today wasn't in the set. My dad bought it for me a couple of years later at Sterlings on Northwest Highway in Dallas (the place is now a Half Price Books). Still, I thought it was totally cool, and I still do. Here it is...





I now realize that this particular model was probably supposed to be the car from the movie Bullitt, but as a kid I didn't know what that was. I picked it out simply because it looked cool and also because my grandfather drove a white 1965 Mustang.

Through the years I lost the track, the controllers, and the other cars. Somehow, though, the Mustang still rides on the bookcase. Hopefully it will do so for quite a while longer.

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.