I just ran across this game in the ol' game closet, but it kind of fits since we're so close to October.
Senet is an ancient Egyptian game that is around 3000 years old (not my copy, of course...I got mine at a thrift store about 25 years ago). It represents a soul's trip through the afterlife, since ancient Egyptians were really focused on stuff like that. Copies were found in a lot of ancient tombs, including King Tut's tomb.
Here is my copy, found in Stu's Tomb of Games (i.e. the game closet) This is how the board is set up to get ready to play.
Upon first read, they can seem complicated, but if you play, you'll find that it's not that hard. I would keep the rules handy for the first couple of games, though.
All in all, Senet is actually a fun game, especially considering the subject matter. Of course, the subject really doesn't matter (see what I did there?) since in our modern times most of the religious themes are hazy at best.
So go ahead and take that trip to the afterlife! It'll be fun!
Until next time, keep searching for treasure!




Holy crap! I was just thinking of this game yesterday! I made my own game back in 1985 or so, and it looks almost exactly like the one shown here. I constructed it out of wood, including the dice sticks. It also had a roll-away vinyl cover, like a roller blind, with an elaborate Egyptian motif painted on. It had a hidden latch that you had to push in order to make the drawer open up.
ReplyDeleteI was thinking about it because I was wondering where it is. Haven't found it yet. I'm not sure I even have all of it anymore. I know I have the playing surface and the vinyl cover. Not sure about the rest of it.
I'm pretty sure I got interested in Senet by watching "The Ten Commandments" back kin the '60s or '70s. The scene where two of the characters are playing this, or some version of Senet, called Hounds and Jackals.
What a coinkidink! Thanks, Stu.
Wow! Yours sounds a lot cooler than mine! I'm really impressed just from the description!
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, it certainly is a coinkidink! A big ol' coinkidink! We must be on the same wavelength!, lol!