Friday, September 18, 2026

Hanging Around

 Sometimes I get a game just because ir's complete and in good shape. Later I go back and think, "What was I thinking?" Today's subject kind of fits that situation. I give you Milton Bradley's Hangman.


As you can see, this isn't even the cooler mid 70s version that featured Vincent Price on the box. No, this game is from 1988, as you can easily see from the family on the box. 


The back of the box shows the games one gimmick: the scoring dials on the letter trays.


And here we have the actual contents you see after taking off the top.


Popping one open, we see the little letter tiles...


...and the business side of the dial. The dial will only turn in one direction, by the way.


What you don't want to see!


As if we needed them, here are the directions...


So why do I think this game is silly? Because kids for years have been using a simple pencil and paper to do the same thing. I can't see what this version adds to that, other than bulk and expense. 

Speaking of the pencil/paper version; it goes back at least 130 years. The Victorians (with their fascination with the morbid) seem to have come up with it as a parlor game. Milton Bradley came out with this version in 1976, which is very late in the game (so to speak). As noted, mine came out in 1988. It has actually been out of production for around 25 years or so. 

But...I have it. Why? Because it was dirt cheap, in good condition, and appatently it was a slow day at the thrift store. 

Oh well, at least I got a post out of it!

Until next time, keep searching for treasure!

2 comments:

  1. Again, I find myself in agreement with you, Stu. The first thing I thought was... Why? Why make a simple paper and pencil game cluttered up with unneeded, bulky stuff?

    I mean, they could've changed things up, added some sort of twist to justify making the game... but, no. I can't imagine it being one of MB's best sellers. I think they were just trying to cash in on an old, popular game with name recognition. "Make it more colorful! Throw in some plastic pieces with knobs to turn! Voila!" Oh well. Maybe they sold enough to make a profit.

    Thanks, Stu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the first thing I did was look for the twist (or any dance move at all, Yuck Yuck!) Nothing. I don't know what it would have been, but I do know the design department really phoned it in on the day they came up with this one.

      Delete

Apparently Blogger doesn't like people commenting from anything but a computer. I'm trying to find a solution, but so far no luck. If your comment doesn't go through, please try from a computer. Thanks.